查看: 1727|回复: 3
打印 上一主题 下一主题

[其它] 知名的老版VB源码网站planet-source-code网站暂时关闭

[复制链接]

点击这里给我发消息

跳转到指定楼层
1#
发表于 2015-6-26 20:21:30 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
虽然现在有了github,但我们一直比较喜欢老牌的VB开源网站 planet-source-code,上面有非常多的VB ASP VBA相关源码,且很多是非常优秀的源码。
但自6月16日以来,这个20多年的老版源码托管网站被迫暂时关闭,因为数据丢失。 这个网站95年一直是我的最爱,我们早期有一个VBA 国外优秀源码翻译栏目,有很多热门的源码也有不少是从这个网站翻译过来的,听到这个消息,的确有些可惜。也让感觉网站 与数据备份的重要性!

原网站公告如下:

http://www.planet-source-code.com/

ADDENDUM 6/19/2015: Hopeful news...Planet source code may be returning!! We are looking at restoring from the zip files on the PSC cd. This would restore 50-75% of the bext code (and perhaps purge some of the less desirable code that didn't qualify for the cd). Additionally, the site will be moved to the Microsoft Azure cloud, to eliminate future problems with backups.

We will know in a few weeks whether this works or not. Please stay tuned and thanks everyone for all your kind emails!!

THE BELOW IS NOW OUT OF DATE, but is included for historical info

June 16, 2015

I have some extremely sad news. After 20 years, Planet Source Code is shutting down. The storage area network that stored the uploads experienced a catastrophic hardware failure, and all of the uploads have been lost. Without them, it doesn't make sense to continue running the site.

What happened?

As many of you have noticed, the site has been up and down the last several weeks. The site was hosted on an fairly expensive ($75,000) co-located system with our own private VMware cloud. The data was stored on a state-of-the-art Hewlett-Packard storage area network, with multiple redundancies. The RAID hardware could handle up to two disk failures in any sub partition at one time, and still continue working.

Sometime in the last half year, the site experienced two hard drive failures in the partition that holds the site uploads. But unfortunately, I never knew about it. Due to a technician mistake during setup, the system never alerted an administrator. By the time I happened to notice something was strange, a third drive had failed, which was more failure than the system was designed to handle.

We've been trying for the last couple of weeks to try to recover, and I spent several thousand dollars in technician fees, but unsuccessfully. Unfortunately, the data is lost. Without all the code, planet source code has no purpose to continue running.

Very sad, but proud too

Looking back, I'm very proud of what Planet Source Code accomplished. It was one of the very first open-source websites, before the concept of open source even existed. It's been an incredible resource for millions of programmers. I poured my heart and soul into it for two decades, so this is a difficult moment.

A labor of love

I also poured my pocketbook into it: many years the immense bandwidth with the site uses has cost more money to run than it made back in advertising. But the site wasn't about money: it was about programming. I've been honored to be able to interact with so many of my fellow programmers on the site. And I wish all of you the best.

As always, keep on coding,
Ian Ippolito
分享到:  QQ好友和群QQ好友和群 QQ空间QQ空间 腾讯微博腾讯微博 腾讯朋友腾讯朋友
收藏收藏 分享分享 分享淘帖 订阅订阅
2#
发表于 2015-6-26 21:57:20 | 只看该作者
本帖最后由 lshstruc 于 2015-6-26 21:58 编辑

正如VB6一样,终归是要退出舞台的,就算数据不丢失,也会逐渐被遗忘。所以这是他注定的命运。
windows98-2000-xp-vista-7-8-10.........,总有天,不再支持vb6的。
我是搞力学出身的,当年在古老的dos平台下,有一个叫SAP90的著名有限元软件,纯命令行,所有的东西都要人输入,没有深厚的专业知识功底,连模型都建不出来,运算连想都别想,连三峡大坝都用他校核过应力和应变,很多老一辈的力学院士,教授都用过,历史发展到现在,有限元软件遍地开花,midas,ansys,maglor,pkpm,国产的strat等等,现在都是全图形化界面,对话框输入,支持鼠标拖拉建模。。。。。。。,很多东西都是傻瓜化操作,黑箱操作,很多用软件的人,可能把结果算出来了,但是结果是怎么来的,自己根本就说不清楚。
这是社会发展的必然。

点击这里给我发消息

3#
发表于 2015-6-27 05:57:03 来自手机 | 只看该作者
真可惜,那些经典的代码。

点击这里给我发消息

4#
 楼主| 发表于 2015-6-27 09:59:49 | 只看该作者
lshstruc 发表于 2015-6-26 21:57
正如VB6一样,终归是要退出舞台的,就算数据不丢失,也会逐渐被遗忘。所以这是他注定的命运。
windows98-2 ...

是的,的确是的
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

QQ|站长邮箱|小黑屋|手机版|Office中国/Access中国 ( 粤ICP备10043721号-1 )  

GMT+8, 2024-5-19 21:58 , Processed in 0.109486 second(s), 31 queries .